The Boss VB-2W is a 100% analogue modern day version of the original Boss VB-2 Vibrato which was originally released in 1982. The Boss Waza Craft series of pedals seeks to take these classic older Boss pedals and update them with modern components and much better noise floors than the originals. The VB-2W has a new vibrato mode and real-time control function for enhanced expression when using an external expression pedal. The VB-2W will be debuting at NAMM later this week.
The Waza Craft range has been around for a few years now and has been a way for the company to re-issue their older lines and occasionally add updated functionality or new features to these older classic pedals.
This new vibrato pedal will have some stiff competition from a lot of companies that are already known for making this type of pedal, so until we get to hear this Boss reissue with a decent amp, then it’s going to be hard to make any judgements on it. I’m hoping they stay true to the original ‘80s pedals as analogue circuits tend to have a much nicer character than modern DSP-based effects. The short video demo which has just appeared on the web sounds promising though.
Official feature list below:
• Premium edition Waza Craft pedal delivers the ultimate BOSS tone experience
• Custom mode features a totally new vibrato sound with unique filter wave
• Standard mode provides a true reproduction of the vintage VB-2 Vibrato sound
• All-analog circuit with BBD (bucket brigade) vibrato line
• Control the effect depth in real time with an optional expression pedal
• Rise Time knob to control the initial onset of the vibrato effect
• Unlatch mode activates the effect only while pressing the pedal, ideal for adding vibrato to specific notes and chords
• Bypass mode takes the BBD out of the signal path to eliminate latency when the effect is off
RRP GBP £159.00
Availability: Probably soon.