The “Fender Mod Shop” has launched in the USA, giving you the ability to build your own custom guitar. You design it online and Fender promise to deliver it straight to you within 30 days.
Available models on the Mod Shop are Stratocaster, Telecaster, Precision or Jazz Bass. After selecting the desired instrument, you then specify the orientation (right or left handed), pick your body wood, colour scheme, fretboard wood, pickups and hardware.
The idea is simple in that Fender give you some preset choices, you pick what you like, they build the instrument – and then deliver it straight to your doorstep. Practically cutting out the “middleman”, which unfortunately is your trusted guitar store.
I think the Mod Shop idea is reasonable, but the available options are still pretty basic. You cannot go ‘Custom Shop’ crazy with your specifications. However, as this is of course just the beginning – who knows what they will add over time if the concept takes off.
Fender Mod Shop will be available both online and via mobile devices to customers living in the US, with base models starting from USD $1,649.99 – $1,799.99.
Although I have included the link to the site below, at the time of writing it would not load in the UK. It just redirects to Fender’s European site. Not sure if Fender will offer this service worldwide eventually, so we will have to wait and see…
Plus, they really need a Jazzmaster and a Jaguar!
The options below are taken from Fender’s site:
- Telecaster – 8 configurable features
- Stratocaster – 9 configurable features
- Precision Bass – 5 configurable features
- Jazz Bass – 5 configurable features
- Two orientation options: Left-handed or right-handed
- Two colors/body materials: Ash with burst finishes or Alder on solid color finishes **Body Material dependant upon the color**
- Nine body color options
- Two fingerboard options: Maple or Rosewood
- Six pickguard materials
- Pickup options vary depending on model:
- Telecaster – Texas Special, 4th Generation Noiseless™, Vintage 1952 Tele®, American Series
- Stratocaster – American Series – optional Shawbucker, 4th Generation Noiseless – optional Shawbucker, Texas Special
- Precision Bass – Pure Vintage ’58 P Bass, Pure Vintage ’63 P Bass, American Series P Bass
- Jazz Bass – Pure Vintage ’64 J Bass, 4th Generation Noiseless, American Series J Bass
- Two tuning machine options: American Standard (only for Basses) and Modern Locking
- Two bridge options: American Standard (only for Basses) and American Deluxe
- Two hardware color options: Chrome (only for Basses) and Gold
- Strings: 0.009-0.042 for Guitars; 0.045-0.105 for Basses
- Case: Black ABS Molded
Fender Mod Shop: site