Update (July 19, 2022): Universal Audio started shipping the SP-1 Condenser Microphone matched pair of pencil microphones which it announced in February at the time of writing the original post. The SP-1 pair is designed to capture stereo acoustic instruments, drums, and live performances while rejecting off-axis audio and background noise. It is available from our affiliate partner Thomann * for EUR 375 (presumably, a temporary discount off the original price of around EUR 499).
Universal Audio has been going on strong for a few decades now. Today, the manufacturer released its first microphone – the SD-1 Standard Dynamic Microphone. The EUR 379 microphone is designed for close-micing vocals and instruments, as well as a podcast/voiceover mic. It’s an uncomplicated, effective dynamic microphone with a tight cardioid polar pattern to reject unwanted background noise and room reflections. To that, the internal shock mount and built-in windscreen help reduce plosives and mechanical noise. Here’s more about the SD-1 microphone from Universal Audio…
Universal Audio SD-1 Dynamic Microphone
The SD-1 features a selectable low-cut filter and enhanced articulation boost. Additionally, plugging into an Apollo audio interface unlocks several channel strip presets, such as ones with professional EQ and compression settings for vocals and instruments. The SD-1 maintains a neutral frequency response while the onboard low-cut filter cuts off at 200 Hz and the articulation boost applies a presence boost in the 3-5 kHz range. Most of the times, this enhances detail and clarity in nearly all kinds of recordings.
The SD-1 also comes equipped with an internal shock-mount and built-in windscreen. It does seem like a flexible dynamic microphone, and also one that follows in the steps of Shure classics like the SM7B and the newer MV7. It will surely find its place in the UA ecosystem and possibly introduce new customers to it.
Universal Audio SD-1 – Specs, Price and availability
The SD-1 costs EUR 379 and is available for order now from Universal Audio and its dealers, such as Thomann.
Universal Audio SD-1
- LENGTH: 7.7 in
- DIAMETER: 2.4 in
- UNIT WEIGHT: 1.6 lb
- TRANSDUCER TYPE: Dynamic
- POLAR PATTERN: Cardioid
- IMPEDANCE: 2000 Ohms (output)
- FREQUENCY RANGE: 50 Hz – 16 kHz
- FILTERS: Low Cut Filter (200 Hz): Off, On; Articulation Boost (3 – 5 kHz): Off, On
- SENSITIVITY -58 dB (1.3 mV) ref 1V at 1 Pa, 1 kHz
Universal Audio SP-1 – Specs, Price and availability
The SP-1 costs EUR 375 and is available for order now from Universal Audio and its dealers, such as our affiliate partner Thomann *.
Universal Audio SP-1 Matched Pair
- Pickup pattern: Cardioid
- Frequency range: 20 – 20,000 Hz
- Sensitivity: -38.0 (12.6 mV) ref 1V at 1 Pa
- Max SPL: 142dB, 1% THD
- Output Impedance: 200 ohms
- Requires +48V phantom power
- Dimensions: 128 x 23.5 mm (length x diameter)
- Weight: 125g
- Includes 2x microphone stand, stereo rail, 2x foam windscreen
- Thread adapters 5/8″ to 3/8″
More microphones later this year
Universal Audio presented more microphones alongside the SD-1 and the SP-1 Standard Pencil Microphones. The UA Bock Series Microphones arescheduled for Autumn and the already available Sphere L22 Modeling Microphone (here at Thomann *) joins the portfolio. Here’s more information about the Bock series mics:
- UA Bock 187 — Cardioid FET condenser microphone for vocals, instruments, and guitar amps.
- UA Bock 167 — multi-pattern tube condenser microphone for vocals, acoustic instruments, drums, and voiceovers.
- UA Bock 251 — multi-pattern tube condenser microphone for lead vocals, choir, and stringed orchestral instruments.
More information about the SD-1 and SP-1
- Universal Audio website
- UA SD-1 at Thomann.de (affiliate link)
- UA SP-1 at Thomann.de (affiliate link)
- More Universal Audio news
Universal Audio SD-1 Video
- Universal Audio SP-1 Matched Pair: Thomann