The Fluid Audio Image 2 full-range studio monitor is now available!
The new Fluid Audio Image 2 studio monitor announced at NAMM 2022 is finally available! The Image 2 is a much higher-end monitor than Fluid Audio’s FX series, featuring a 3-way design with dual bass drivers and an AMT tweeter. It also offers built-in support for Sonarworks SoundID Reference profiles. Sounds exciting!
Fluid Audio Image 2 studio monitor
The Fluid Audio Image 2 is a near and mid-field monitor with an impressive spec sheet. It boasts 2x 203mm bass drivers, 1x 130mm mid-range driver, and 1x AMT tweeter (28x43mm). Between them, its frequency response extends from 28Hz all the way to 30kHz. The drivers and tweeter are driven by Class-D amplifers (2 x 225W bass, 1x 150W mid-range, 1x 75W treble).
The on-board DSP lets you import and run room up to four different Sonarworks SoundID reference profiles for room correction via the USB port on the monitor’s rear. Audio connections include 1 x XLR Analog Input, 1 x TRS Balanced Input, 1 x XLR AES/EBU Input, and 1 x SPDIF Output/Input. It all makes for a nice and girthy 14.3kg speaker which can be mounted on floor stands and ceilings.
Further along, the Image 2 can be used as a full-range or mixcube monitor. Nothing helps dial in low-end and prevent mixes from collapsing on mono quite like a mixcube.
Fluid Audio claims both the AMT tweeter and custom aluminum cone mid-range driver are both in-house developments. The latter uses shorting rings to help reduce harmonic and intermodulation distortion generated by voice coil displacement. This also reduces the modulation of magnetic flux cause by the voice coil movement. Both decisions add up to linear audio reproduction.
The Class-D amplifier is also a proprietary creation promising very low distortion, lower output noise, and broad headroom. The monitor uses a closed cabinet design which produces a natural bass cut and makes the monitors less sensitive to room positioning. I’d take that over bass ports any day of the year.
Fluid Audio Image 2 Specifications
- SPL: 116dB (pair)
- Frequency Response: 28 Hz – 30 kHz (+/-6 dB) 80/20kHz (+/-2db)
- Driver Dimensions: 2 x H 203 mm Bass + ⌀ 130 mm Midrange + ⌀ 28 x 43 mm AMT Tweeter
- Weight: 14.3 kg / 31.5 lb
- Mounting: Side mount yokes allow for Sound Anchor floor stands and Ceiling-mount
- suspension in multi-channel or immersive systems
- Amplifier Power: 2 * 225 W Bass (Class D),150 W Midrange (Class D), 75 W Treble (Class D)
- Dimensions: H 452 x W 287 x D 278 mm
- Connections: 1 x XLR Analog Input, 1 x TRS Balanced Input, 1 x XLR AES/EBU Input, 1 x SPDIF Output/Input, 1 x USB Connection
Price and availability
The Fluid Audio Image 2 is now available to order at Thomann* for €1989.
- Fluid Audio Image 2: Fluid Audio