UPDATE: Korg has since released full details of the opsix Altered FM Synthesizer – read up on all the details here!
A juicy leak for all you Korg fans out there: The eagle-eyed bloggers at our sister site gearnews.de salvaged photo and specifications of what appears to be the upcoming Korg opsix from the webcache of a Danish dealer, emnordic.dk! We’ve known about the opsix since NAMM 2020, but the images of the new version – assuming they are genuine – take the design in an exciting and more compact new direction. Check out the images below. So how will Korg’s new FM synth sound and feel? We can’t wait to find out. Also, images of a new SQ sequencer and the much anticipated ARP 2600 mini have also appeared. Great stuff, Korg!
These specifications were seen on the emnordic webshop, and haven’t been confirmed by Korg, so we can’t vouch for their accuracy at the time of writing. But they look pretty impressive:
- Keyboard: 37 keys (velocity and release-velocity sensitive)
- Maximum Polyphony: 32 voices (or a max. of 24 voices, depending on the settings)
- Sound generating system: Altered FM sound generator
- Structure: 6 operators, 1 filter, 3 EGs, 3 LFOs, 3 effects, step sequencer, arpeggiator
- Algorithm: 40 presets + user algorithm (unique to each program)
- Operator: 5 modes (FM, Ring Mod., Filter, Filter FM, Wave Folder)
- Oscillator waveform: 21 waveforms (Sine, Sine 12bit, Sine 8bit, Triangle, Saw, Saw HD, Square, Square HD, Additive Saw3, Additive Sqr3, Additive Tri3, Additive 12345, Additive 1+2, Additive 1+3, Additive 1+4, Additive 1+5, Additive 1+6, Additive 1+7, Additive 1+8, Noise S/H, Noise White)
- Filter: 11 types (LPF 12, LPF 24, LPF MS-20, LPF POLY6, HPF 12, HPF 24, HPF MS-20, BPF 6, BPF 12, BRF 6, BRF 12)
- EG: ADSR
- LFO: 23 waveforms (Triangle, Saw Down, Saw Up, Square, Sine, Sample&Hold, Guitar, Exp. Triangle, Exp. Saw Down, Exp. Saw Up, Step4 Triangle, Step6 Triangle, Step4 Saw Down, Step6 Saw Down, StepRnd:Time, StepRnd:Lvl&Time, StepRnd:Level, Random:Time, Random:Lvl&Time, Triangle + , Saw Down + , Saw Up + , Square +)
- V.Patch: 12 routings
- Effect: 30 types (Chorus, Unison Ensemble, Phaser, Phaser (BPM) , Auto Pan, Auto Pan (BPM), Flanger, Flanger (BPM) , Rotary Speaker, Auto Wah, Exciter, Enhancer, LFO Filter, 3-Band EQ, Distortion, Guitar Amp, Decimator, Grain Shifter, Master Limiter, Compressor, Delay, Delay (BPM) , Autopan Dly, Autopan Dly (BPM), Tape Echo, Tape Echo (BPM) , Early Reflection, Reverb, Shimmer Reverb, Spring Reverb)
- Sequencer: Step Sequencer (up to 16 steps, up to 6 notes per step) , Motion Sequencer (up to 6 lanes)
- Arpeggiator: 7 patterns (MANUAL, UP, DOWN, ALT1, ALT2, RANDOM, TRIGGER) fault)
- Number of programs: 500 (250 preset programs and 250 user programs as the factory-set de
- FAVORITE: 64 (16 Slots × 4 Banks)
- Controllers: MODULATION wheel, PITCH wheel, RATIO OP 1–6 knobs, LEVEL OP 1–6 sliders, DATA ENTRY A–F knobs
- Inputs/outputs: Headphone (6.3 mm stereo phone jack), OUTPUT L/MONO and R (impedance-balanced 6.3 mm TRS phone jacks), DAMPER (6.3 mm phone jack, half-damper not supported), MIDI IN and OUT connectors, USB B port
- Power supply: AC adapter (DC12V)
- Power consumption: 5 W
- Dimensions (W × D × H): 565 × 338 × 90 mm / 22.24″ × 13.31″ × 3.54″
- Weight: 2.9 kg / 6.93 lbs.
- Included items: AC adapter, Precautions, Quick Start Guide
Our friends at amazona.de reported earlier in the week that the first units are already in circulation, presumably with beta testers, sound designers and perhaps VIPs or influencers. If that’s true (the article didn’t cite specific sources), the official announcement may be coming soon.
But there are still many question marks. We don’t know to what extent the design study shown at NAMM corresponds to the final product. When the Wavestation was reborn as the Wavestate, Korg opted for a more compact design. Will the opsix also still be trimmed down to three or four octaves? But so far this is pure speculation – let’s be surprised!
If the rumours are true and the Korg opsix is really ready to roll out, we will of course keep you informed!