The original Wasp was released in 1978 by Electronic Dream Plant and is distinctive because of its striking looks and deliciously raspy and gritty sound. It had dual digital oscillators with dual envelopes, and an analogue multi-mode filter and modulation section. The first Wasp had a copper plate conductive keyboard but with the Deluxe they built it with a properly mechanical keybed.
It appears that it’s the Deluxe version that Behringer has cloned by then decided against the keyboard, instead going for the same format as their Model D, Neutron and Pro-1. Other features of the Deluxe are an external audio input for the filter and mix controls for the oscillators – those are present on the Behringer.
Other than a rejig of the layout it appears to be exactly the same as the original. Including the pulse width modulation on the first oscillator and the pitch knob on the second allowing you to set up intervals for a bit of pseudo polyphony. I’m really looking forward to hearing this little bug.
- Faithful reproduction of a cult classic monophonic synth
- Two digital oscillators with three variable waveshapes — pulse, ramp, and enhanced mode
- Pulse width modulation on OSC1
- Variable pitch control on OSC2
- Analog VCF with highpass, lowpass, notch, and bandpass modes and sweepable resonance
- LFO with six selectable waveforms pitch and frequency mod controls
- Two analog envelope generators with attack, decay, and sustain level controls
- Eurorack compatible with an 80HP footprint
- Combine with multiple synthesizers for up to 16 voice polyphony with Poly Chain
- USB-MIDI plus 5-pin DIN In and Thru
- Glide (portamento)
- External audio input
- Low-output and high-output 1/4″ outs
- Behringer’s 3-year warranty
There’s no information from Behringer on the Wasp as yet so we can assume that Sweetwater is jumping the gun. The USA has been quite frustrated by the slower availability of Behringer synths over the Atlantic, maybe this is an attempt to get in there early by taking a lot of preorders. Or perhaps it’s just a mistake.
- Sweetwater Wasp Deluxe preorder page.
- Behringer Wasp Deluxe: Sweetwater