TC Electronic unchains the Icon Series Legacy plug-ins from their controllers
TC Electronic has released native versions of the Icon Series Legacy plug-ins. From now on, you don’t need the dedicated hardware controllers anymore to run the DVR250, TC1210, TC8210 and TC2290 plug-ins. That’s good news, but what if you’ve already bought the controllers? Feeling a bit betrayed? You’re probably not the only one.
TC Electronic Icon Series Legacy Native plug-ins
With the new native versions, the hardware controllers for the TC Electronic Icon Series DVR250, TC1210, TC8210 and TC2290 plug-ins are now optional. The plug-ins are authorized via the desktop controllers or the iLok system and can be used with or without the hardware.
While that’s great news, TC Electronic’s policy regarding existing controller customers isn’t entirely clear at this point. Will anyone who has bought the controller-only versions automatically receive a license for the native version? Anything else would surely make many people very angry, and rightfully so. Also, if you didn’t really want the controllers in the first place, but reluctantly bought them because you wanted the plug-ins, you might feel a bit betrayed. That said, the desktop units do of course still provide some additional functionality, like the intuitiveness of physical controls and input/output meters.
The four TC Electronic Icon Series Legacy Native plug-ins are:
- DVR250: An emulation of the EMT Electronic Reverberator taken from the TC Electronic System 6000
- TC1210: An emulation of the TC 1210 Spatial Expander with two separate chorus/flanger units
- TC8210: Not modeled after any one particular hardware reverb, this plug-in represents TC’s take on an airy, transparent reverb
- TC2290: A delay plug-in with modulation, based on the TC 2290 Digital Delay
According to TC Electronic, more Icon Series Legacy Native plug-ins are planned in the future.
Price and compatibility
The native versions are a bit cheaper than the desktop controller versions, and they’re 20% off for a limited time:
- DVR250: USD 159 (regular price: USD 199)
- TC1210: USD 79 (reg.: USD 99)
- TC8210: USD 55 (reg.: USD 69)
- TC2290: USD 159 (reg.: USD 199)
- Icon Series Legacy Native Bundle: USD 319 (reg. USD 399)
The plug-ins run on Windows and macOS in VST, AU and AAX versions. An iLok account or dongle is required.