The Spring Cleaning Update
Cheekily named The Spring Cleaning Update, the new 2.60 firmware version for all Helix hardware and HX products brings two new clean channels based on the Mesa Boogie Lonestar and the Friedman BE-100. These had been promised after the last major update and complements the two drive channels released for both amp models last time they did a firmware update. A welcome addition in my book, as both modules are successful emulations of the real-life amps.
Next up we get four new effects pedal models. Deranged Master is based on the Dallas Rangemaster Treble Booster. Deez One Vintage is a BOSS DS-1 distortion pedal model, while Deez One Mod gives you the Keeley mod version of the BOSS DS-1. The 1 Switch Looper is a new Line 6 original that doesn’t require you to leave Stomp mode. I like the sound of that, as it should make it a lot easier to set up a loop.
1 Switch Looper details
I’ve copied the exact text from Line 6 site below so you can check out the official way to use the new 1 Switch Looper:
- Add a Looper > 1 Switch Looper block to your preset and assign it to a stomp footswitch. (Adding a 1 Switch Looper to HX Effects from Stomp view automatically assigns it to the selected footswitch.)
- Press the 1 Switch Looper switch. The LED lights red, indicating the loop is recording.
- Press the 1 Switch Looper switch again.The LED lights green, indicating the loop is playing back.
- Press the 1 Switch Looper switch again.The LED lights amber, indicating the loop is in overdub mode. Subsequent presses of the switch toggle between play and overdub mode.
- While the 1 Switch Looper is in play or overdub mode, press and hold the switch for 1 second. The most recent recording is undone. Holding the switch again will redo the recording. On Helix, Helix Rack/Control, and HX Effects, “UNDO” or “REDO” briefly appears on the scribble strip. On Helix LT, “UNDO” or “REDO” briefly appears in Performance view.
- Quickly double-press the 1 Switch Looper switch. Playback/recording stops and the LED lights white, indicating a loop is in memory.
- While Looper playback/recording is stopped, press and hold the switch. The recording is deleted and the LED lights dim white.
Clean 112 Powercabs
Overall, I’m happy with this update. I’ll run it on my Helix LT sometime this week. As ever, if you are going to update your Helix then make sure you backup all your presets first and follow Line 6’s instructions for loading the new firmware.
Line 6 has also done some bug fixing as well, so it’s a pretty comprehensive update to the Helix product line, one I am looking forward to trying out. I’d like to hear the two new clean channels through their new Powercab 112 range sometime, as it could be a great effects platform.