Waves is launching a new channel strip plug-in at NAMM 2018, designed to give you the sonic tools that Andrew Scheps uses on his productions (Adele, Jay Z, Metallica). There’s Pre, compression, EQ and gating sections, all tuned to mimic the sound Andrew gets from his gear. A DS2 module takes care of de-essing duties, with two bands and four filter types.
Sounds like it’s reasonably flexible, too: you can drag and drop modules around as you like. There’s also a plug-in slot that you can use to bring in one external plug-in. The blurb implies that has to be a Waves plug-in though… The plug-in has a lot of Artist presets by people of the same caliber as Tony Visconti and Billy Bush to get you going.
Looking at things in more detail, the Scheps Omni Channel has five models that can be used and combined in any order you like. They are:
- Pre – provides three types of analog saturation with various colors of harmonic distortion, fiters, and resonance controls.
- Compression – a range of three different compressors ranging from fast to slow and smooth. They have a unified control set so you can easily compare them, as well as a wet/dry control for easy parallel compression.
- EQ – 4 band equalizer where each band can be set up for a “musical” sound or switched to fully parametric if surgical EQs are more your thing.
- DS2 – a de-esser that’s more of a de-anything, thanks to its two full-range bands and four filter types. With these, you can remove pretty much any type of defective signal in addition to sibilance.
- Gate – a standard gate at a glance, with traditional controls like threshold, attack, and release, it also lets you adjust maximum noise reduction for a consistent noise floor.
Furthermore, the system includes an insert slot which can be flexibly positioned anywhere in the effects chain. It gives you space to insert any Waves plug-in of your choice, including an extra instance of any Scheps Omni Channel module.
Overall, Waves has come up with a helpful set of plug-ins that will surely aid producers with quicker mixes and masters that come together more easily. Furthermore, appreciators of Andrew Scheps’ prolific production work finally get a chance to authentically emulate his signature sound and techniques, with the opportunity to learn lots about his habits and approaches along the way by deconstructing presets and understanding the plugins’ workflow. Good job, Waves!
Price and availability
While Andrew Scheps Omni Channel is on sale at USD49, the regular price is USD 149. The plug-ins are available for all the usual formats and platforms.