In 2002, Gibson gifted a one-off White Custom 50th Anniversary Les Paul to Mr Paul at a ceremony in New York to commemorate 50 years of cooperation. Together with its case, some photos and a special copy of the Les Paul biography, the guitar is being sold on Reverb by Les Paul’s longtime luthier and tech Tom Doyle.
Les Paul’s White Custom 50th Anniversary Les Paul
Mr Doyle states on the Reverb page for this sale that this guitar was one of Les Paul’s favourites – so much so that he even posed with it for the cover for his autobiography. It was tweaked at Mr Paul’s request to have the frets hanging slightly “over the binding on the neck” and he would often be seen playing this very guitar.
The ‘White Les Paul’ is offered for sale in a “Collectors Package” that also includes the guitar’s original case and some additional memorabilia:
- An original framed photo used for the cover of the autobiography signed by Les Paul
- A custom black pickguard (autographed)
- A photo of Les Paul signing the pickguard
- A photo of Les and Mary also signed by Mr Paul
- An image of Les Paul and Paul McCartney, autographed by Les
- A special author’s copy of the official autobiography, with the White LP on the cover
You can check out the Reverb listing for the Les Paul White LP here. If you’re interested in finding out more about this guitar, listen to Tom Doyle in the video below describing the guitar in some detail. The asking price for the whole bundle is USD 250,000, with 10 per cent of the proceeds being donated to the American Cancer Society.
- Les Paul with his one off 2002 White LP: Reverb