reProducer Audio Labs has just introduced the Epic 55, a mid-field loudspeaker based on the experience gained with the manufacturer’s Epic 5 near-field. reProducer has honed in on the bass frequencies here, with two woofers kept company by a pair of passive radiators. Get lo-o-o-w!
reProducer Audio Labs Epic 55
The studio monitor measures 53.5 cm in height when set up vertically, but it’s also suitable for horizontal positioning. Two 5.25-inch woofers flank a single one inch tweeter. There are additional 6.25-inch passive membranes on the top and bottom that help maximize the bass. Another accomplishment of this design is the elimination of airflow noise.
A high-current, high-damping, low-noise Class D amplifier supplies the two woofers with 120 W and the tweeter with 75 W. ReProducer says the speaker gives fast transient response and transparent sound reproduction (obviously, both desired characteristics). The adjustable gain and high/low frequency trim for high and low frequencies allow you to fine-tune the Epic 55 for the room.
As with the smaller Epic 5, the in-phase design and purely analog signal routing are designed to get you low distortion and high dynamic range. Similar to the smaller model, the Epic 55 is characterized by linear playback and the absence of any DSP manipulation. Pure monitoring, then! Likewise, the active speaker is minimalist in terms of connections, so you will only find an XLR input. But the standby mode can be switched on and off with a simple switch.
According to the manufacturer, this mid-field studio monitor is more suitable for larger rooms where emphasizing the bass in the mix can be a desirable trait.
- Frequency response: 40-30,000 Hz ± 3 dB
- Frequency response: 35-30,000 Hz ± 10 dB
- Amplifier power: 1 x 75 W RMS, 2 x 120 W RMS
- Amplifier Technology: Class D
- 115 dB dynamic range, frequency response up to 100 kHz, extremely low-noise
- Max. Sound pressure (pair, 1m): 112 dB (C) SPL
- Power supply: Universal 100-240 VAC, 50/60 Hz
- Power consumption (max): 200 VA200
- Woofer: two 5.25 inch woofers
- Tweeter: 1 inch (metal dome with rear chamber)
- Crossover network: 2.5 kHz, 24 dB / octave
- Balanced input impedance (XLR): 12 kOhm
- Unbalanced input impedance: 3.3 kOhm
- Input sensitivity balanced (XLR): +4 dBu
- Unbalanced input sensitivity: (RCA): -10 dBV
- Room correction high: ± 5 dB in 1 dB steps above 2.5 kHz
- Room correction low: ± 5 dB in 1 dB steps below 250 Hz
- Standby: can be switched on / off
- Dimensions without spikes (vertical): 515 (H) x 190 (W) x 320 (D) mm
- Dimensions with spikes (vertical): 535 (H) x 190 (W) x 320 (D) mm
Price and availability
The reProducer Audio Labs Epic 55 is now available at a unit price of EUR 1649.
Learn more about reProducer Audio Labs Epic 55
- reProducer Audio Labs website
- reProducer Audio Labs at Thomann (affiliate link)
- More reProducer Audio Labs news
- reProducer Audio Labs Epic 55: reProducer Audio Labs