Gibson has just announced a slew of models for its Original Collection as well as its Modern Collection. Expect classic guitars from the company’s rich heritage, along with a few updates, making this a neat set of new guitars ready for Winter NAMM 2020.
Gibson Original Collection
The emphasis in this year’s Original Collection is, like last year, on classic 1950s and 1960s designs. That’s in line with CEO James ‘JC’ Curleigh’s direction since he took control of the company: a focus on the company’s core lines. Which, after all, is what players really want, especially in terms of build quality and consistency. 2020 is Gibson’s chance to prove that the firm is up to the task.
The models include old favourites like the Les Paul Special in TV Yellow, Goldtop Les Paul models, ’50s style Flying V and Explorer models, plus a sweet looking Pelham Blue SG model, all sprinkled in amongst the bread and butter ’50s/’60s Les Paul Standard models.
Gibson Modern Collection
This year, Gibson has added a new Les Paul Tribute to its Modern Collection. The guitar is available with both humbucker and P-90 configurations. These will retail for under a grand, which is good news for players seeking a US-made instrument at a reasonable price point. Of course, its success will hinge on the build quality, but I think Gibson knows they haven’t lived up to everyone’s expectations over the last years. So I expect these guitars to be ‘on point’ this year.
Available in Vintage Cherry, Worn White, Ebony Vintage Gloss and Natural Walnut nitro finishes.
RRP – USD 999
- Gibson SG Standard in PelhamBlue and VintageCherry: Gibson
- Gibson Les Paul Standard 50s and 60s Heritage Cherry and Iced Tea finishes: Gibson
- Gibson Les Paul Special in TVYellow: Gibson
- Gibson SG Standard 61 in HeritageCherry: Gibson
- Gibson Explorer Antique Natural : Gibson
- Gibson Flying V Antique Natural : Gibson
- Gibson Modern Collection Les Paul Heritage P90 or Humbukcer equipped: Gibson
- Gearnews NAMM 2020 Videos Sponsors: gearnews