Trident is a Multi-Synchronic Oscillator Ensemble which, if nothing else, sounds very impressive. It’s essentially three oscillators pulled together as a carrier with two modulators to generate some really interesting sounds.
Update: Video from NAMM show below.
Rossum Electro-Music doesn’t do things by halves. This is a huge (30HP) Eurorack module! Although you can use the VCOs independently the fun happens when you put them together. It’s configured as a single Carrier oscillator with three waveform outputs and 2 Modulator oscillators with single, switchable waveform outputs. The Modulators have Symmetry knobs to push and pull the triangle waves to and from sawtooth in both directions or pulse width when the square wave is selected.
They say the magic happens in something called Zing Modulation. It’s a bit like Ring Modulation but due to the synchronisation between the oscillators (switchable) “the aharmonic sum and difference sidetones of ring modulation transform into complex but purely harmonic overtone spectra, which vary dynamically and dramatically with the frequency and waveshape modulations of the modulation oscillators.” Quite. Parameters such as Frequency, Symmetry, Waveshape, Zing and Phase have different effects on the timbre of each of the Carrier’s three outputs.
There’s a lot of stuff to play with in here and with three competing and interacting oscillators the potential sound palette is huge.
- Three precision analog oscillators with dedicated 1V/Octave inputs and coarse control ranges of 20Hz to 20kHz and modulated ranges of 0.01Hz to 25 kHz.
- Main Carrier oscillator with simultaneous triangle, sawtooth and pulse waveforms, with exponential and linear frequency modulation and pulse width modulation.
- Main Carrier oscillator hard sync input
- Modulation Oscillator 1 with selectable triangle, sawtooth and pulse waveforms with exponential frequency modulation, variable symmetry and symmetry modulation, and variable Zing level and Zing level modulation.
- Modulation Oscillator 2 with selectable triangle, sawtooth and pulse waveforms with exponential frequency modulation, variable symmetry and symmetry modulation, variable Zing level and Zing level modulation, and variable phase and phase modulation.
- Both Modulation Oscillators with independently selectable options to sync to the Main Carrier oscillator and track the Main Carrier oscillator
- Trident, like all Rossum Electro-Music modules, features solid construction, with thick aluminium panels, solid aluminium knobs, and quality components throughout.
Availability is hoped to be in the Spring for $599. Looking forward to seeing it in action.
- Rossum Electro-Music Trident webpage.