Brighton, UK based Joe Doe Guitars and the Gardiner Houlgate auction house has put a one of a kind Apollocaster up for Emergency UNICEF Ukraine Appeal auction. All the profits will go to help children affected by the war in Ukraine.
Emergency UNICEF Ukraine Appeal auction
Proceeds from the sale of this Joe Doe “one off” Apollocaster will go towards supporting a UNICEF relief fund, which will provide water, food and shelter to the children of Ukraine affected by the Russian invasion. And Gardiner Houlgate auction house has waived any premiums, so that “every penny” that the auction generates will go directly to helping the children of Ukraine.
“Emergency auction! You like helping out, right? So do we, which is why we’re donating one of our unique, one-of-a-kind Joe Doe Original guitar builds to the upcoming Guitar Auction at Gardiner Houlgate. All proceeds go to UNICEF to help provide the children of Ukraine with water, food and shelter,” it continued. “No buyer’s premium will be charged so smash the piggy banks, shake the change out of your sofa and help out! Eternally grateful.” – Joe Doe Guitars
Joe Doe Guitars’ Apollocaster
This one of a kind Joe Doe Apollocaster has a two-piece alder body, finished in an aged Moon White nitrocellulose finish on the body and headstock. It has a NASA headstock pin, as well as United States decals from “Apollo F12 rocket boosters”. Well, they look like them at least. The guitar sports a 10”radius quarter sawn maple neck with 21 frets and dot inlays. Plus, it comes with a cool back story.
“As well as being the Chief Mechanical Engineer working on the construction of the Apollo 11 lunar Excursion Module, Ray Davenport Jnr also played rhythm guitar in the NASA house band, One Small Step. Davenport Jnr built the Apollocaster guitar during breaks between shifts, but was fired in 1972 after it was discovered he had been stealing vital metal parts in the construction of the Apollocaster guitar. (That’s the story we’re telling at Joe Doe Guitars…)”
Bare Knuckle loaded
This unique guitar is powered by a pair of Tim Mills’ Bare Knuckle Mule humbuckers, wired up with CTS split-coil pots and a Switchcraft three-way selector selector. Check out that amazing pickguard, which houses all the electronics and those Mules!
Official Joe Doe Apollocaster Tech Specs
– 2 piece Alder body
– Moon White nitrocellulose finish on body and headstock
– 3D Custom designed Apollo Lunar Module Scratchplate
– Replica commemorative plaque on rear (as found on Lunar Module ladder)
– ‘United States’ decals, taken from Apollo F12 rocket boosters
– Allparts quarter sawn, 10” radius neck, medium C, finished in Tru Oil
– Nasa pin
– 3D ‘Apollocaster’ headstock logo
– Bone nut
– Bridge and neck Bareknuckle Mule humbuckers
– Gotoh Bridge
– Gotoh tuners
– CTS split coils pots and Switchcraft 3 way
– Fender Pro Series hard case
If you want to bid and help raise money for this UNICEF appeal, the auction starts on 9 March 2022; you can follow this link to get there. Everyone at Gearnews hopes that Joe Doe Guitars and Gardiner Houlgate manage to raise as much money as possible to help the children affected by the war in Ukraine. The recent sale of the FCK PTN pedal managed to raise over $9.5k for emergency aid, which was split equally between the World Central Kitchen and the International Committee of the Red Cross.
Bid high, and help raise some money which UNICEF will then use to help children with food, water and shelter.
- Apollocaster product page
- Joe Doe Guitars Instagram
- Joe Doe Guitars
- Gardiner Houlgate action page
- Joe Doe Guitars' Apollocaster headstock with NASA pin: Instagram/Joe Doe Guitars
- Apollocaster pickguard closeup: Instagram/Joe Doe Guitars
- Bid on this sweet Joe Doe Apollocaster to help raise money for the Emergency UNICEF Ukraine Appeal : Joe Doe Guitars