Developer BLEASS is on a roll, having recently introduced a nifty tape stop effect plug-in for desktop and Apple devices. It has a new release now, called Granulizer. As the name suggests, the plug-in and app cut up your audio into tiny grains and give you various means to manipulate them. Granulizer homes in on features such as randomization, 4 multi-bus audio inputs, and old-school 3D visuals. It’s a charmer for sure!
Looking at the interface, the Input Stage lets you choose between a low-shelf or high-pass filter (to filter out the bass frequencies from input), in addition to gain adjustment. The plug-in can take up to 4 sources from different busses as inputs. It should be noted that some DAWs, such as Ableton, offer more input busses while others (like Bitwig and Logic) are limited to 2 input busses (main + sidechain input). When multiple busses are on, each grain is randomly extracted from one of the available sources. Then the different parameters are modulated and the process is shown inside the 3D Visualizer.
The following parameters are available:
- Pan (represented by width in the 3D visualizer)
- Size (grains’ duration)
- Density (frequency of grains generation)
- Offset (the amount of time between record and play represented by depth in the 3D visualizer)
- Backward/Forward Playback Direction
- Shape (grains’ envelope, represented by height in the 3D visualizer)
- Warmth (strength of the distortion applied to the grain)
- Tune (grains can be pitched up or down according to different tuning modes, including chords and scales)
- The amount of randomization can be set with the “dice” knobs
- Density, grain size and offset range can be freely synced or beat synced to the host’s tempo
Overall, Granulizer is a mighty fun plug-in that’s going to turn your audio inside-out. It’s entertaining rather than obscure, and it’s sold at a fair price.
BLEASS Granulizer Price and availability
The Granulizer plug-in is on an introductory sale for USD 30, down from USD 40. It’s available for Windows 8 or later (64-bit VST3) and macOS 10.9 or later (64-bit VST3, AU). A demo version can be downloaded from the developer’s website. The app version is sold for USD 8 and requires iOS/iPadOS 11.0 or later.
BLEASS Granulizer – More information
- Deal at Plugin Boutique (affiliate link)
- BLEASS Granulizer in the Apple App Store
- BLEASS website
- More BLEASS news
BLEASS Granulizer – Videos
- BLEASS Granulizer GUI: BLEASS