In uncharacteristically reserved style Behringer has kept this one close to its chest but it appears that their tribute to the Korg MS-20 is ready to roll. Welcome to K-2.
We did have a look at this back in April with that photo of the Las Vegas support guy and a bunch of Behringer synths. We saw the MS-20 clone sitting just above the Neutron. At the time they referred to it as the K-20 so Behringer is continuing to modulate their naming convention a little bit presumably in light of their discussions with Roland.
There’s no official information out there so far so all we’ve got to go on is the picture of the box. It says the K-2 is an analog and semi-modular synthesizer with dual VCOs, ring modulator, external signal processor, 16-voice polychain and Eurorack format. It looks like a similar size to the Neutron and from what they say it must be rackable into your modular system.
Looking at the layout the knobs are identical to the MS-20 with the MIDI port being the only addition. The patchbay is also an exact replica down to every socket, line and bit of text. There doesn’t seem to be any Behringer special sauce on this one, they’ve gone straight for a 1-to-1 clone.
Here’s the leaked spec that appeared briefly 2 years ago (where does the time go?):
- Analog synthesizer with dual VCO design
- Reproduction of original “MS-20” circuitry with matched transistors and JFETs
- Analog signal path based on authentic VCO, VCF and VCA designs
- Semi-modular architecture with default routings requires no patching for immediate performance
- 4 variable oscillator shapes with variable pulse widths and ring modulation for ultimate sounds
- First-generation filter design (high pass/low pass with peak/resonance)
- Dedicated and fully analog triangle/square wave LFO
- 2 analog Envelope Generators for modulation of VCF and VCA
- 16-voice Poly Chain allows combining multiple synthesizers for up to 16 voice polyphony
- Complete Eurorack solution – main module can be transferred to a standard Eurorack case
- 36 controls give you direct and real-time access to all important parameters
- External audio input for processing external sound sources
- Comprehensive USB/MIDI implementation with MIDI channel and Voice Priority selection
- 3-Year Warranty Program
Apparently, the price is €299. Should be turning up in a shop near you very soon.
- Original facebook post.