Signum Audio (of Bute loudness metering and limiting plug-ins fame) released a new dynamics processor today – Skye Dynamics. Named after the beautiful Scottish isle, Skye Dynamics is a multi-stage, three-in-one dynamics processor. Where Bute plug-ins are meant for post-production, Skye Dynamics is the first in a new series of Signum plug-ins geared for music production. It contains an Expander, Compressor, and Limiter – all three designed primarily for music production. However, the concept is more about transparent processing devoid of distortion and saturation. If you want a ‘vibe’ limiter, you ought to head elsewhere.
Signum Audio Skye Dynamics
Skye Dynamics features an adaptive auto-release algorithm and a selection of 5 preset envelopes to make your life easier. Moreover, each effect in the chain can be individually bypassed, gain staging can be adjusted at any point, and each effect has an individual side chain input. Every parameter can be automated as well, and a channel linking system allows further tweaking of the input and output of the plugin.
The user interface is slightly dense with parameters, but it does make it possible to configure the entire effect chain from a single view. What’s more, the dynamic range of the metering and effects configuration can be freely scaled for precision work. The plug-in window can be freely resized and optionally switched to a streamlined compact view. These are all thoughtful and welcome features that improve one’s workflow.
Signum Audio Skye – feature set
- Multi-staged processing with three dynamics effects (Expander, Compressor, Limiter)
- Transparent processing with Linear, Natural, Transparent, Smooth, and Pumping envelopes
- Adaptive auto-release algorithm
- Individual bypass and side-chain inputs for each processor
- Channel Linking (up to 7.1.4 configuration in the Surround version)
- Gain staging at any point in the chain
- Free-scale dynamic range for metering and effects configuration
- Fully resizable/scalable interface with Full and Compact views to optimise screen space
- Multichannel input/output metering for effects chains and individual effects (Surround version)
Price and availability
Signum Audio offer a special introductory offer (50% off) until January 9 2022. The Stereo version is priced at GBP 69 while the Surround version (with support for up to 7.1.4 channel configurations) is priced at GBP 99. Skye Dynamics works under Windows and macOS in VST, VST3, AU, and AAX formats. All future updates are free. You can also download a free 10-day demo from the developer’s website.
Skye Dynamics – Video
- Skye Dynamics compact view: Signum Audio