Cherry Audio products are graceful bows to rare synthesis equipment, all affordably priced. The developer’s freshly released Rackmode Signal Processors is another glowing example of what it’s all about. This is a virtual effects rack containing 7 emulations of Moog rack equipment from the 1970s and 1980s. The effects are plenty interesting enough on their own. Also, the entire line of Moog rack equipment is being emulated for the first time, which makes Rackmode extra special. Here’s more about that and everything else about this exciting release…
Cherry Audio Rackmode
As usual, Cherry Audio provides a concise and informative overview of the equipment’s historical background. In the late ‘70s and early ‘80s, Moog Music Inc. wanted to enter the broader studio tech market and produced the Signal Processor family of rack-mounted devices. Since then, Moog Signal Processors have became a historical rarity among collectors and top recording studios.
Forward-thinking producers like Giorgio Moroder and Sylvia Massy still treasure them as part of their setups. The units are growing increasingly scarce and if it’s even possible to put together a complete collection at this point, it would cost well over USD 20,000.
Cue in Cherry Audio tracking down the units and modeling their circuits with the help of synth designer and DSP guru Mark Barton. Their understated rack enclosures have been rendered authentically, too. As it’s customary for emulations, the original functionality is expanded with meaningful additions such as presets, syncable LFOs, and stereo processing. The plug-in is also ready for Apple Silicon from the get-go.
Rackmode Signal Processors Features
The bundle includes a total of 8 effects in a familiar virtual rack format:
- Rackmode Vocoder – 16 channel vocoder available in two versions: playable instrument plug-in with built-in dual oscillator and effects plug-in for audio processing.
- Rackmode Phaser – emulates the 12-stage Moog phaser known for its lush, sweeping textures
- Rackmode Ring Modulator – based on Moog’s Harald Bode Ring Modulator with Squelch control
- Rackmode String Filter – based on the extremely rare system created by Moog’s Custom Engineering Group, the module utilizes filter arrays mimicking acoustic string instruments
- Rackmode Frequency Shifter – creates colorful, metallic effects by modifying the ratio of incoming frequency components
- Rackmode Graphic EQ – ten selectable frequency bands with Drive and Gain controls
- Rackmode Parametric EQ – three bands for sculpting Low, Mid, and High-frequency ranges
Rackmode is provided in standalone and plug-in versions. Full MIDI control and DAW automation for all controls are supported, in addition to DAW tempo sync and selectable mono/stereo modes.
Price and availability info
Rackmode Signal Processors costs USD 99 (down from USD 129 during the introductory period) and is available in 64-bit AU, VST, VST3, and AAX formats, as well as standalone. The supported operating systems are macOS 10.9 and Windows 7 or later. A preset library of over 150 presets is included and a free 7-day demo with periodic white noise is available for download.