Mojave Audio has announced the MA-37 tube condenser microphone. The company says that its take on the classic Sony C-37a updates the original design with modern components for a rich, natural sounds that oozes musicality.
Mojave Audio MA-37
With the new MA-37, Mojave Audio seeks to recreate the revered sound of the Sony C-37a tube condenser microphone. Released in the 1950s, the C-37a is often associated with the “Golden Age” of Hollywood recording. But the MA-37 isn’t an exact clone. While staying close to the original design, Mojave says that they’ve made a couple of modern updates in terms of the microphone’s components, workmanship and build quality.
Like the C-37a, the MA-37 is a high-headroom, large-diaphragm tube condenser microphone. It uses a special capsule design with an adjustable tuned acoustic chamber that lets you choose from cardioid and omnidirectional polar patterns using a mechanical shutter. The circuit is based on a single-stage tube amplifier with an EF806 tube and a Lundahl transformer. A switch on the external power supply provides three selectable options for the integrated high pass filter: flat, 100 Hz, and 200 Hz.
If you’re after those “Golden Age” vibes associated with the likes of Leonard Bernstein, The Wrecking Crew and Mel Blanc, but don’t feel like selling your house for the vintage classic, the Mojave Audio MA-37 looks like a great modern alternative. It certainly isn’t cheap, either, but if it sounds anywhere near as good as the original, it’ll be well worth the investment.
- Frequency response: 30 to 18,000 Hz. +- 3dB. (“M” setting)
- Bass cut: M flat
- V1 -3dB at 100 Hz
- V2 -3dB at 200 Hz
- Sensitivity: -46 dBv referred to 1 volt per pa
- Distortion: Not to exceed .5 percent at 134 dB
- Noise: Better than 18 dB
- Polar pattern: Choice of cardioid or omni; via mechanical shutter
- Impedance: 170 ohms, floating. Recommended load 1500 ohms or higher
- Power required: 115 or 230 VAC, 50 or 60 hertz; 5 watts
- 6 volts DC at 200 mA
- 140 volts DC at 1.5 mA. from dedicated power supply
Price and availability
The Mojave Audio MA-37 is now available for USD 3499 (MAP).
More information about Mojave Audio
- Mojave Audio MA-37: Mojave Audio
- The high pass filter switch is located on the power supply: Mojave Audio
- The MA-37 comes in a carrying case: Mojave Audio MA-37